As your teen begins driving, it is important to not only teach them how to drive, but also to teach them how to avoid an accident.
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among 15- 20-year olds.
The best way to avoid an accident for your new teen driver, is to avoid risky behavior behind the wheel. What does that mean?
- Avoid Distractions Anything that takes attention off the road, increases their chances of getting in an accident incrementally. This includes talking on a cell phone, texting, and even something as simple as driving friends around. Anything that takes your teen’s focus off the road is something your teen should avoid at all cost.
- Always Follow Posted Speed Limits The limits are there to help drivers stay in control of the vehicle. Driving any faster brings on more hazards than the teen driver is able to handle. And, keep in mind that speed limits are based on ideal conditions. So, driving at night, in the rain or in heavy traffic requires the need to drive below the speed limit.
- Avoid Driving At Night All drivers need to slow down and be more cautious at night. But for the new driver, it is harder to anticipate and avoid hazards that might occur in the dark. And if they are required to drive in the dark, make sure your teen sticks to familiar routes and roads.
- Always Wear Your Seat Belt Every time anyone gets into the car, make sure that belt is buckled! This means your teen driver AND all passengers. Remember, accidents can happen any time, anywhere. So the best way to protect yourself is to buckle up.
- Gain Experience! Nothing can help you protect your teen more behind the wheel than to give them the opportunity to gain experience. And to get that experience while you are in the car with them.
Following these steps and logging supervised hours and miles on the road, are the best way for your teen to stay in control of their car and keeping them and all of their passengers safe.
And always trust all of your auto insurance needs to the experts at Henry Insurance Service.